Thursday, July 07, 2005

Hantuchova

Ok, I am a tennis fan. And as most male tennis fans, female tennis transcends the ability to play tennis... yes, I love watching it at times because it's played by women for crying out loud. Some pretty beautiful, others not really. I believe Daniela Hantuchova is the most beautiful of them all these days (in my honest opinion). Long gone are the days of Sabatini ... and I have to say I am one of those "I don't get why Kournikova was such a big deal" kind of guy.

Hantuchova is more interesting than the typical tennis player for several reasons:
- She is extremely beautiful.
- She is technically, one of the best tennis players around with strong all round game and incredible groundstrokes.
- She has problems... some of them strangely public, like her potential anorexic issues and her lack of mental grounding to just become one of the top 5 in the world on an ongoing basis.

Maybe this will seem a bad comparison, and I do apologise to Daniela if I'm not being fair with this, but she illustrates the mess in which we live today. The mess of having a beautiful, talented professional, who has indeed become a star, but cannot live within the boundaries defined by modern life society.

If one does exceptionally well, one is expected to do even better... if one is beautiful, one is expected to become even more beautiful. Indeed, we are becoming Lemmings... following each other without any sense of direction or belief. The strange question I have is: who are they (we?) following? Who are the leaders? Are they as clueless as the followers? If they are, everyone's in big trouble.

So... and just to finish this: Daniela, you are fabulous, you look great, you play incredibly well... just relax and enjoy life and tennis. I am pretty sure you will "kick some butt" along the way, but more important, you'll enjoy yourself (or seem to enjoy yourself) much more.

No comments: