Monday, December 11, 2006

Short story: Non-fiction writing

"Romeo y Julieta. No. 1 de Luxe"
"Yes, sir"
"Oh and a Kaipirinha. Brazil-style, please"
"Sorry, sir?!"
"Forget it. You wouldn't understand"
He wouldn't.
I sat down and started writing something about the New Year and suddenly it hit me: why not write something fictional about this situation? why not write it in the first person.

I sipped the Kaipirinha.
"Not bad. Actually quite good"
"Thank you sir"
I lighted my cigar. Better yet, waited for it to be torched.
I looked at the girl in the mini-skirt walking around.
Looked back at the moleskine and started writing again.
"Wait a sec, this is not fiction" - he thought - "Let's start then"

I saw her through the corner of my eye.
There she was as I reminded her: doll-like face, "compact" body, very close to perfection... no, wait, or was it long hair, stretched face, beautiful eyes, "I don't care too much" pose, looking down on me with her own unique way.

"You're welcome!"
I was interrupted again - "one more Kapirinha" - I thought - "well, back to the story"

"So, where have you been?"
"You mean, apart from your dreams?"
"Yes. Well, you're here and all"
"Yes, not very surprising. Why wouldn't I be?"
"Why not indeed?"
"Will I be in your dreams tonight?"
"Not sure. You see..."
"Don't tell me, you're sharing me with someone else... in your dreams?!"
"Yes"
"You can't make your mind up"
"No, I can't. I don't think I need to. You see..."
"Yes, I do. So, you don't want to be with me any more"
"We were never really together, were we?"
"Indeed, we were not"
"Stop using indeed"
"You started"
"You continued"
"Well, who is she?
"She, who?"
"The dream 'mistress'"
"Not a mistress"
"So you keep telling me"
"What do you want from me?"
"Straight to the point... just the way I like it"
"No, you don't"
"What?"
"Like it. You don't like it when I'm upfront... Are you scared of me?"
"I am. You are ... too deep. You are too much"
"Fair, so you don't really like me?"
"I do. A lot. More than..."
"I'll ever know. I know"
"Trendy pen, what is it?"
"Porsche design, but you are changing conversation again"
"I am, ain't I?"
"You are. Stupid question: what will it take for me to seduce you?"
"Not much"
"What?"
"That you stop trying"
"Don't know how"
"Yeah, forget it. Intense little bugger, aren't you?"
"Big... bugger I do grant you"
"Well"

I reached and kissed her. No time for her to speak as she was just about to. I muffled her words, the sound of her voice, tasted her lips... thin... no, big, voluptuous, chubby, beautiful as lips can... sometimes be.
She slapped me, turned her back on me and left.
She came back.
"So, reconsidered?"
"You wish. Just came back for this"
And left again.
Not before turning back to me and smiling.
I put out my cigar.

No comments: