Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Film: The Queen

What an exquisite film.

First, very well defined story-line and characters that we can all relate to: a superbly tight story that has all the ingredients for a melo-drama/comedy.

Then, the interpretations, but one more than any other: Helen Mirren. What an astonishing performance. An Oscar-worthy one, I would dare say. Or at least one that will be reminded like Jodie Foster in Nell (what a robbery that was), Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry or Million Dollar Baby, Meryl Streep in so many of her movies, the intelectually brilliant Natalie Portman in Beautiful Girls, Leon or Closer, and the little (she was 4 at that time, wasn't she) Victoire Thivisol that interpreted Ponette in such a tremendously professional and exquisite way and that fully deserved the honor she received in Venice.

Watch it. You will enjoy it.

P.S.: I was once just behind Ms. Mirren boarding at LAX into a BA flight to London. I was extremely happy because I noticed she was in seat 60 something which is a sign she was flying Club World in the Upper Deck, which I was as well. I was then interrupted by the boarding agent who told me I had been... bumped to First class. But there was also a star flying in First class: Mr. Eric McCormack, also known as Will in Will & Grace. Those BA LA flights... jet-set I tell you. Jet-set.

No comments: