Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Air-conditioning and other noises

I've just arrived in my hotel room in Germany.

First, I was very happy to be in Europe again. I hadn't come to Europe since end of July and it's good to be "almost home".

Then I went into my hotel room. Mind you this a 4 star hotel, very good by any standards, but the first thing I noticed when I get in is the absence of a noise, a noise that is familiar: the noise of an air-conditioning unit. The room wasn't/isn't too hot, but you know I got used to the noise, so I looked around for the a/c control and nothing... there is none.

A wave of shock and then despair went through my body sore from another long-haul flight... this for like 5 seconds and then I realized the room is actually at a normal temperature, although I prefer it a bit more chilly. I also realized that I got used to the a/c noise in hotels and in my own home. I got used to it. I also got used to noise of cars outside everywhere I go and when I'm in place that does not have noise, I find it funny and need to get used it.

Ultimately, it's all about routines. The good ones, the bad ones, but ultimately routines... things we do and get used to or simply things that happen around us like noises ... and that strangely enough we end-up missing at some point in our lives.

"Strange beings... these humans!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was lying in bed two nights ago when I heard a police siren in the distance. I thought, "Oh no, another crime in the 'hood. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to buy a house here after all."

I had totally forgotten, of course, that we were accustomed to at least one police car in full emergency mode rushing past our Notting Hill flat each night. I had also forgotten how accustomed we were to the noise - to the point that we didn't even wake up when two fire engines responded to a fire in our own building - directly under our window.

Silence is a beautiful thing.