Sunday, October 08, 2006

Series: Hustle

When I think of TV series, I always think of the U.S.. Well, I also think about the U.K. specifically when I think Comedy. Hustle is the exception in an Ocean of American rule. Hustle is also comedic, but it's more than that: think "Ocean's Eleven" and then think TV series, and you get Hustle.

The acting is almost stellar - U.K. standard oblige. The scripts are as tight as they need to be - otherwise, the whole "thematic" approach just loses its grip on spectators. Then it's a really cool series: well filmed, stylish, makes you want to be a "con man"... well, almost.

I had to leave the actress Jaime Murray to last (but definitely not least)... but let me start with Keira Knightley (she is not on the series in case you were wondering). After 1 or 2 years of living in London, I told a good friend that I would leave the city if I saw Keira. Well, life is strange because one or two months later I was going up Marylebone High Street with that same friend who was visiting for a long weekend and there she was: Keira Knightley... going down the street with a couple of girl friends laughing. My friend was shocked and so was I. I mean, I've seen other "celebrities", but this one under these circumstances was quite shocking.

A few days later I saw her again at one of the clubs I was a member of and I thought to myself: "Maybe it's time to leave London after all? Maybe it's a sign of some sort?" After thinking for a while, I thought: "Nah. I love this city". I did not leave for another year, year and a half, and just as I was ready to leave I told another friend that I would not leave London if I was to meet Jaime Murray and she would madly fall in love with me. It seemed something reasonably ridiculous and just something stupid to say to a friend... so that he would get the whole "fait accompli" sense of the move. You can imagine the rest... I did not meet her - of course not, come on... this is the real world, not Hollywood or some TV soap opera! - or even saw her at all. So what is the point of the whole story?

None, really. I just wanted to tell it really... oh and Jaime Murray is gorgeous and has the whole "elan" thing going: the Audrey Hepburn and Gwyneth Paltrow (the good years) type.

Oh and as for Hustle... just watch it, ok? You will love it.

No comments: