Saturday, October 07, 2006

Geek

geek
n : a person with an unusual or odd personality [syn: eccentric,
eccentric person, oddball]


Come on... it can't be. A geek is more than that. A geek is a state of mind. A geek... am I a geek?

Well, today I changed the language of my printer's menu from Chinese to English using my Mac translation widget to guide my way through the Chinese characters. I also found a way to upload the tunes from my old iPod into my new iTunes client.

Well, I could go on. I guess I just miss being a true geek and the days of relentless programming in C, C++, Java, Prolog, LISP and even Assembly (that was truly bad!), among many other awful and "incomprehensible" languages. I miss my days of hacking (or trying to) into my own Linux Slackware flavour OS, just so I could say "I did it". I miss having someone looking at the screens I created, having code run without anyone actually grasping what truly went into it. Some were mission critical applications and some were not.

Those were the days?

Creation in computer engineering is genuinely fascinating and not just an act of logical acumen like most feel. It can actually be very artistic. Not only the visual "front-end" of it, but also the code... what makes software and hardware tick.

Anyway, I wasn't very good at it, that's why I probably miss it so much. I've gone to the dark side of management quite some years ago and there doesn't seem to be any way back from it. To be perfectly honest, I do enjoy myself in what I do now and am far less miserable than in my "IT days".

Next objectives: getting and configuring a Slingbox and taking my blog mobile. Well, not rocket science, granted, but so what?

No comments: